There is no cost for a Library card. Proof of identity is necessary. A valid driver’s license, State ID, or a Passport is now required to obtain a library card. A parent’s signature is required of children under 17. Parent must have an ID. Returns may be deposited in the Book Bank when the building is closed. Limit of 50 items per card.
Fines are 5 cents per day per overdue book, audio book, or music excluding days the library is closed. The maximum fine per item is $3.00. There is a a limit of 10 Music CD’s/audio books per borrower. Fines for overdue pamphlets, catalogs or magazines are 5 cents per day, maximum of $3.00. Retired patrons who are registered at the Ballston Spa Public Library are not required to pay overdue fines! A phone fee of 25 cents or the cost of postage is charged for notifying borrowers of items more than two weeks late.
Library material requests may be made online, in person, or by telephone. Patrons are notified via phone or email when requests arrive and are held for one week. Most books, audio books, music, magazines are loaned out for 4 weeks. However, New & Popular adult fiction/non-fiction releases go out for 2 weeks. Playaways may be borrowed for up to 4 weeks, but not renewable. All items excluding New release books and movies, may be renewed by phone, online or in person.
DVD’s & Videos
All DVD’s/videos are loaned out for 1 week with all but new (designated with a “new” sticker on the spine) are allowed 1 renewal as long as there is no outstanding requests. There is a limit of 5 videos/DVD’s PER HOUSEHOLD. Movies are not renewable. Borrowers under the age of 17 must have parent/guardian permission. For movies the late charge is $2.00 per day, maximum $10.00.
We are Wireless! The wireless connection was funded through the Friends of the Library. Although printers are not available to connect to your laptop, they may be in the future. A Library Web Catalog computer for patrons to use is available. There are 4 Public Computers available. Road Runner Internet access is provided courtesy of Time Warner Cable. All have Windows XP including Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer. We have Black & White Laser Printers. Prints are .10 per page.
NEW Acceptable Computer Use Policy *
- Sign up for computer usage at the circulation desk. You need wither a SALS or MVLS library card or a valid I.D. A two-hour session is granted per day. This session may be taken at one time (as long as no one is waiting) or broken up into 2 sessions.
- If you are under 17, you will need the signed permission of a parent or guardian.
- You must stay at the assigned computer workstation.
- If you experience computer problems during your session get a staff member to assist you immediately. Do not try to fix the computer.
- Do not log off or turn off the computer.
- Downloading any programs is not allowed.
- *Discs, flash drives, CD-R/Ws are now allowed to be used for opening and/or saving documents but not for running programs.
- Usage of chat rooms, instant messaging etc. that leads to cyber bullying is not allowed.
- Displaying pornography websites constitutes public lewdness and is not allowed on our computers or your own laptop.
- Violators of these rules will result in a warning. Upon a second offense of computer rules, patrons will forfeit computer privileges. If you have any questions consult with the library staff.
- You are responsible for what you print. Prints are .10 per page.
Acceptable Behavior Policy
To attempt to have a harmonious library community where patrons’ rights are not infringed upon, the following behaviors are NOT allowed:
No extremely loud voices or yelling. No running, hitting, pushing etc.
No foul language (no swearing or inappropriate words).
Cell phones may be used in the library for short conversations. For longer conversations please use the two upstairs vestibules or go outside.