Because it is located in the county seat, the Ballston Spa Public Library has always attempted to acquire items useful for country-wide historical and genealogical research. These items include:
Local History Collection. 6 shelves of books. 8 boxed volumes of pamphlets. 60 folders of clippings, including 7 on Abner Doubleday. Name card file. 38 drawers. County-wide in scope. Goes up to the early 1900s.
City Directories. 1893-present, approximately every other year. Mainly Ballston Spa coverage, but some include Mechanicville, Stillwater, Rock City Falls, Middle Grove, or Saratoga Springs.
Ballston Journal. April 1847 to present (most on microfilm). Marriages and deaths indexed up to 1900. Subject index covers 1847-1865. For most of its history, this newspaper has been a weekly publication. From 1913 through 1938, it was a daily. Missing years: 1851-4, 1873-4, 1909-11, and the 1st half of 1930.
Saratoga County Epitaphs. 2 reels of microfilm. Townships are groupedinto volumes (5 in all), with an index at the end of each volume. Compiled in the 1870s by C. E. Durkee.
Family histories. Donated. Of varying quality!
Addington, Arnold, Brown (Valentine), Cavert, Champagne-Nadeau-Choquette-Carpentier, Chatfield, Curtis, Denton, DeRidder, Ellsworth, Gates-Strong-Hurd, Goodrich-Ames, Hanson-Johnson-Woodward, Harwood, Kennedy (of Edinburgh and Ft. Plain), Lienau, Mead, Montagne, Ostrander (family newsletters), Planck, Rouze, Saint John, Seitler-Gifford, Schermerhorn, Stever, Stewart (Angus), Taylor (John Hemstreet), Underhill (Amos), Waterbury, Wood (David)-Nash, Woodward
Kayaderosseras Allotment Maps. 1708, 1771. Saratoga, Montgomery, Fulton, and Warren Counties of today.
Beers’ county atlases for 1866 and 1876, showing names of property owners.
Church Records. In Notebooks.
Ballston Center Church. Compiled 1940 by Grace VanDerwerker.
Burnt Hills Baptist Church. Members’ names from 1820-1920.
Freehold Church, Charlton. Communicants 1786-7.
Congregational Church, Greenfield. Baptisms 1792-1811.
1st Presbyterian Church, Ballston Spa. Communicants 1783-1820.
Old Dutch Reformed Church, Schuylerville. 1790-1857.